Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Pitching

So I heard a tip from a close friend that I would receive a telephone call about teaching someone how to pitch. (Ok the tip was from my dad but you get the point.) I will be receiving a phone call from a friend of my dad and he will ask me to bestow my wisdom upon son on the art of pitching. I know what you are thinking if you know anything about my pitching, you are asking yourself why anybody in their right mind would pick me a random fill pitcher, meaning I pitch when everyone else has or the game is basically over and the coach needs someone that can come in and eat up some innings. But after I have had a night to think about this I have realized that I could actually be a pretty good pitching teacher. For those of you who haven’t seen me pitch I will tell you that I do not throw that hard, upper 70’s sometimes low 80’s, with a slightly average curve ball and a change up a that I have little faith in most of the time. But if you think about it then I have had to outthink hitters while sneaking pitches by them and use my scheme and mechanics to be able to get hitters out. I don’t have a 95 mph fastball that I can just hum by hitters or a deuce that will buckle the knees or even for a fellow teammate that had a changeup that at times with his fastball is a lethal combination, even though I roped one of those changeups for a double down the line. So realizing that I don’t have as much god given talent as most people pitching I found a way of working through all of these hurdles and being a pretty successful pitcher throughout 5A high school baseball, and to be honest I think that if I had gone on to play in Missouri then I think that I could have pitched in NAIA level. So here’s to maybe the start of something special, I will help this kid all that I can and hopefully he has a little speed in his fastball or a knee breaking curveball and with my little guidance will go on to be one of the pitchers that I am announcing into the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment